In its 84th year of service, CareFirst, an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is a not-for-profit healthcare company which, through its affiliates and subsidiaries, offers a comprehensive portfolio of health insurance products and administrative services to 3.5 million individuals and employers in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Northern Virginia. In 2020, CareFirst invested $27.8 million to improve overall health, and increase the accessibility, affordability, safety and quality of healthcare throughout its market areas.
- Is the largest healthcare insurer in the Mid-Atlantic region, serving 3.5 million members.
- Employs approximately 8,000 associates and contractors in Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia.
- Operates the nation’s largest Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) program of its kind.
- Serves more than 630,995 members in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program (FEHBP) – one of the largest FEHBP enrollments in the nation.
- Offers Congressional Employees and their families access to more than 96 percent of hospitals and 95 percent of doctors and specialists across the U.S. – more than any other insurer
- Nationally recognized for Plan Excellence for providing stellar customer service by being awarded the Excellent Service Experience Profile Award for 24 consecutive years for D.C. FEP members and 17 consecutive years for Maryland FEP members.
- Invested nearly $27.8 million in 2020 to improve overall health, and increase the accessibility, affordability, safety and quality of health care throughout its market areas.
- Earned recognition in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 as one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" from the Ethisphere Institute.
- Revenue: $10 Billion
- Medical Care Spending: $7.7 Billion