Mission & Values
In accordance with the Charter of the nonprofit health service plan, the mission of CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield shall be to:
- Provide affordable and accessible health insurance to the plan’s insured and those persons insured or issued health benefit plans by affiliates or subsidiaries of the plan.
- Assist and support public and private health care initiatives for individuals without health insurance.
- Promote the integration of a health care system that meets the health care needs of all the residents of the jurisdictions in which the nonprofit health system service plan operates.
CareFirst Code of Ethical Business Conduct and Compliance
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is committed to the highest standards of business ethics and integrity as well as strict observance and compliance with the laws and regulations governing its business operations.
Our Code of Ethical Business Conduct and Compliance (PDF) is the foundation for the Compliance & Ethics program. It sets the performance standard for ethical business practices for all of our associates, board members and business partners.
The code is our guidebook for living our values.
Our values serve as the pillars of all we do. They guide our company’s dedication to maximizing our community’s access to high quality, cost effective health care services.
- We see ourselves through the eyes of our customers.
- We deliver services that anticipate our customers’ needs.
- We act with unquestionable ethics.
- We communicate openly, directly and timely.
Personal Accountability for Excellence
- We take individual ownership for achieving high performance.
- We demonstrate a bias for action.
One Company, One Team
- We align our decisions and actions for the greater good.
- We collaborate and support others to achieve results.
- We demonstrate leadership in our markets, our communities, and the health care industry.
- We each set an example of high ethical standards in performing our duties.
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield has a separate code for its vendor/contractor relationships. View our third party code of conduct.