Event Recap: Seize the Data, Spot the Disparities
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield’s (CareFirst) vision is to drive the transformation of the healthcare experience with and for our members and communities. To realize this vision, we must make every effort to eliminate health disparities and advance health equity.
Collecting and studying demographic data is critical to identifying disparities in quality of care, addressing social determinants of health and improving population health. But, at this moment, a lack of standardized collection and patient trust prevents us from unlocking the full potential.
The science of eliminating health disparities is complex and dependent on demographic data. Data-driven demographic insights would allow the healthcare industry to better understand and serve patients by proactively identifying high-risk members, developing targeted interventions, and creating appropriate and relevant education, care and services.
How can the healthcare industry improve collection methods and use demographic data to advance health equity?
In a recent virtual event hosted by CareFirst, a panel of industry experts addressed steps to standardize demographic data collection and how the data could be utilized to develop solutions in support of social determinants of health.
Tich Changamire, M.D., Ph.D., MBA, Vice President, Chief Medical Officer of CareFirst, moderated the event and led the panel discussion that included:
- Anand Parekh, M.D., Chief Medical Advisor, Bipartisan Policy Center
- Maria Gomez, R.N., M.P.H., Founder, President, CEO;, Mary’s Center
- Trenor Williams, M.D., Co-Founder, Socially Determined
Specific topics covered during the virtual event included:
- why demographic data matters
- how demographic data can be used to advance health equity
- best practices, strategies and guidelines for demographic data collection
- future opportunities for collaboration to enhance demographic data collection
To learn more about CareFirst’s community impact and efforts to transform healthcare visit: https://www.carefirst.com/transformation.